If you find yourself constantly scrubbing out armpit stains or reapplying deodorant, you could have excessive sweating, also known as hyperhidrosis. Fortunately, there are numerous treatment options for this common condition. At CüR Laser and Skin, Dr. Kumar Shivdasani has worked with countless patients to get to the root cause and find an excessive sweating treatment that works.
What Causes Excessive Sweating?
Hyperhidrosis has numerous causes, including a genetic predisposition. If you have any of the following conditions, they might contribute to excessive sweating:
- Thyroid problems
- Menopause or a hormonal imbalance
- Anxiety or high-stress levels
Our practice can work alongside your primary care provider to rule out underlying conditions and provide relief from this inconvenient symptom.
How Do You Treat Hyperhidrosis?
Treatment for excessive sweating typically starts with managing any existing conditions and could include medications for generalized anxiety disorder or hormone replacement therapy for menopause.
If your hyperhidrosis doesn’t resolve, other treatment options are:
- Prescription antiperspirant, creams, or wipes: This antiperspirant is typically applied to dry skin at night, starting with daily applications and scaling back to once every few days. Prescription creams and wipes can help manage face or body sweating, but they can cause dry mouth or mild skin irritation.
- BOTOX® injections: Botulinum toxin blocks nerves that trigger sweat glands. Treatments are generally recommended every four to six months for consistent benefits.
- Nerve-blocking medications: Similar to BOTOX, these oral medications stop your nerves from triggering sweat glands. However, you experience dry mouth, bladder problems, or blurred vision.
- Antidepressants: Some antidepressants also decrease sweating. If high stress is a common hyperhidrosis trigger for you, this treatment could reduce anxiety.
- miraDry®: If you primarily struggle with excess armpit sweat, this short in-office treatment can eliminate odorous sweat glands in the underarms giving you lifelong freedom from pit stains. At CüR Laser and Skin, we recommend miraDry as a permanent treatment option if you don’t want the daily hassle of applying products or taking medication. This effective, painless procedure typically takes less than an hour to deliver permanent results.
Schedule Your Hyperhidrosis Consultation in Vancouver
If you’re ready to tackle excessive sweating once and for all, book a consultation at CüR Laser and Skin in Vancouver by calling 604-662-7368. With more than 30 years of experience and a reputation for positivity and professionalism, Dr. Kumar Shivdasani can create a holistic treatment plan for your hyperhidrosis.